Sunday, May 04, 2008

Anzac Day at the pub

So last weekend was a three dayer here in oz due to anzac day on the 25th. I really love anzac day. It's truly one of my favourite holidays. It has great meaning to me, and i truly respect everything the day stands for.

This being said, every year i say im going to get up early and go to the dawn service and it never happens. This year i didnt even say it because it had been raining all week and i knew there was just no chance. So we got up about 8.30am and set about cleaning up the house a lil bit. We had decided during the week to go on a picnic with a bunch of friends, but because the weather was so crappy, we decided to have the picnic at my place, where it was warm and dry.

Everyone started rocking up about 10.30 for early lunch. CERTAIN people had stated that they would not be attending lunch if we didnt do it early because they wanted to go to the PUB! RUDE! and hey since they dont read my blog, let me just point the finger at my two younger brothers BEN and CHRIS. Very un brotherly boys! lol

So after lunch, we dropped Blake at his nannas and hit the pub. Blake was not overly impressed that he was being ditched in favour of gambling and drinking....He has very high moral standards.....
We walked in and quickly realised it was like a highschool reunion. There were so many people from school there - of all ages. And the first person i saw was my highschool crush (therapists would probably call it an obsession...lol) Ian.

I havent seen the guy in years, and as soon as i see him my knees go weak, heart starts thumping and i grab my best friends arm and squeal "oh my god, tamara, its Ian". She looks at me like i have 3 heads and i realise that ive just jumped into a time machine to 1998 and im 16 again.

oops. mental note to self - am grown woman, with a job, mortgage, fiance etc etc. This is not highschool and one should not be swooning over old highschool crushes.

He's married, im engaged...is it inappropriate to say he still looks damn fine? Yes? ok then pretend i didnt say it. lol

Do you guys have two up over there? im guessing not, i think its an aussie thing.Well thats the main reason we were going to the pub on Anzac day.For those of you who dont know wikipedia can explain it better than i ever could ....

Two-up is a traditional Australian gambling game, involving a designated 'Spinner' throwing two coins into the air. Players gamble on whether the coins will fall with both heads up, both tails up, or with one coin a head, and one a tail (known as 'Odds'). It is traditionally played on ANZAC Day in pubs and clubs throughout Australia, in part to mark a shared experience with Diggers through the ages.

Its only legal to play it on Anzac day- I'd never played before but above mentioned brothers were happy to teach me. And it was fun! Because you have a 50-50 chance of winning, if you lost your money on one round, you could quite easily win it back on the next. Of course i only gambled my brothers money (hey thats what he gets for being rude at lunch) and lost twice in a row before i was told i was bad luck and was resigned to the sidelines...but i had a good time watching and just soaking up the atmosphere.

The gang at the pub - from left- Tamara, Lauren, Penny, Paul, Adam, Chris (my lil brother number 1), Jira (whose head you can barely see, but he's my fiance)Jaime, Kate and the two goons down the front are my lil brother number 2 Ben, and Luke.


No comments: