Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Describe a favorite childhood friend and something you did with her or him.

my best friend as a kid was a girl called Veronica. We met when she came to my school in grade 3 and we were inseparable from the very beginning. We couldnt have been more different though. I was shy and pretty quiet, and so little and skinny for my age. Veronica was tall and solid and loud and bossy.

Lord only knows why we got along so well. I was the only person that could put up with her. Whenever my mum asked me if i wanted to have a friend over id always say Veronica and she would suggest a few other friends but i never wanted any of them, and eventually she just gave up trying to persuade me that my other friends were nicer. I know she never liked Veronica but i think she realised that she had to let me choose my own friends.

The thing i remember the most was going to her house and painting our nails. Veronica had the most amazing collection of nail polishes because her mum was a beautician and got them all for free. She had something like 160 different colours and everytime i went there id choose a different colour - normally something horribly bright.

When we were 11 her parents announced they were moving to QLD. I was absolutely devastated. I still dont think my mum realised how close our friendship was because she said that we could write to each other, and if we were still writing in a year she would buy me a plane ticket to go visit her. well we wrote to each other until we were 16, even tho by then we didnt really have anything in common and had totally separate lives. Makes me wonder what shes doing now, if shes married or has kids.....

3 comments:

Michelle said...

what a nice friendship you had! i say you try to find her-you'd probably have a lot more in common now than you did then...

loonyhiker said...

I was a lot like you when I was a child, shy and quiet. I gravitated to outgoing kids also because I didn't mind them being in control and it let me be myself. You've come a long way!

Unknown said...

How wonderful that you had such a good friend. I moved around too much to be able to develop an inseparable one.